[Python-Dev] [Fwd: Re: PEP 384: Defining a Stable ABI]

Jeffrey Yasskin jyasskin at gmail.com
Wed May 20 18:49:34 CEST 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 2:09 AM, William Reade
<william at resolversystems.com> wrote:
> (for example, all(?) PyCxx modules use PyCode_New and
> PyFrame_New to get nicer tracebacks)

Specifically for this, I think it'd be nice to expose a function to do
this directly. I recently added PyCode_NewEmpty
(http://svn.python.org/view?view=rev&revision=72487) to go part of the
way here. I didn't go farther because I didn't have a big enough
picture. If most uses of PyFrame_New are really just to call into
Python with a nice traceback, I think it'd be a good idea to add such
a function to ceval.h next to PyEval_Call*(). We can only credibly
tell people to use only the ABI functions when we have an ABI
replacement for the (sane uses of) non-ABI calls.