[Python-Dev] distutils.build_ext path comparison - python 2.5.2

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Wed May 20 21:34:22 CEST 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009, Sven Schrader wrote:

> since our python installation is located on a symlink'ed directory,
> our variables "sys.exec_prefix" and "sys.executable" can have
> different paths. Therefore, the respective test in build_ext.py fails
> (line 202) and a wrong library directory is obtained.
>
> To fix this issue, I have attached a patch that uses
> "os.path.samefile" instead, to see whether two files are identical
> irrespective of its path.

Please post this patch to bugs.python.org so it can be tracked.

Note that Python 2.5 is now accepting only security patches, so please
check whether 2.6 and trunk need it.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little
statesmen and philosophers and divines."  --Ralph Waldo Emerson