[Python-Dev] FWD: FTP URLs for Python source

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sat May 23 18:55:52 CEST 2009

Yes, this is ancient, I've been putting off dealing with it because I
couldn't figure out who should handle it.  At this point, I think that if
anyone does it should be the release team, therefore I'm forwarding to
python-dev.  Feel free to tell me I made the wrong choice.  ;-)

----- Forwarded message from "Douglas W. Goodall" <douglas_goodall at mac.com> -----

> From: "Douglas W. Goodall" <douglas_goodall at mac.com>
> To: webmaster at python.org
> Subject: made too hard...
> Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 05:57:15 -0800
>
> Dear Sir,
>
> I am not sure why, but you have made it harder than it has to be to
> fetch the python source for installation on a unix system such as
> OpenBSD.
>
> I had to use the command line ftp client and it took a lot of time to
> discover the real
> URL of the download file.
>
> Here is what ended up working.
>
> ftp http://www.e you made it this hard on purpose. Yes, it is easy if
> you
> are using a web browser, but if you are on a unix system without X
> it is a pain to get it when you don't know how.
>
> You might want to add the ftp URL to the web page for people like me.
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Doug
>
> ---
> Douglas W. Goodall
> 425 San Juanico Street
> Santa Maria, CA  93455
> (805) 598-9099
> http://www.goodall.com
>
> I call on each of us to pray for our president.
> He is who we have for the next four years,
> and we need him to be successful for all of
> us. God Bless America, and the President.

----- End forwarded message -----

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little
statesmen and philosophers and divines."  --Ralph Waldo Emerson