[Python-Dev] Bizarre mtime behaviour

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sun Nov 1 22:02:32 CET 2009

On Sun, 2009-11-01 at 12:03 -0500, Eric Smith wrote:
> Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> > Adam Olsen <rhamph <at> gmail.com> writes:
> >> Looks like an OS bug to me.  Linux I'm guessing?
> >
> > Yes, but only on certain boxes. I could never reproduce on my home box.
> > RDM (David)'s buildbot is a Gentoo vserver with a reiserfs filesystem.
>
> You'll occasionally see something similar on Windows boxes running FAT,
> because the timestamps stored in the filesystem have a 2 second
> granularity there. Not sure if this might be similar, or just a reiserfs
> issue.

Some years ago there was a bug where the dentry cache held timestamps
more granular than those that the filesystem could represent. We saw
this cause build failures which were troubling to reproduce :) I haven't
seen Linux arbitrarily invent time travel so far:).

The FAT rounding issue is a possibility, but I didn't think reiserfs was
short that much precision.

I'd check that the work area you had really was reiser, not a mounted AT
partition, and if its not look up the ReiserFS precision for mtime.

-Rob