[Python-Dev] EC2 buildslaves

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Nov 2 13:31:25 CET 2009

> I've setup a buildslave on an EC2 Ubuntu Karmic instance here:
> http://www.python.org/dev/buildbot/all/buildslaves/pitrou-ubuntu
>
> However, since it's right now billed on my credit card, I'll shut it down in a
> couple of days. I wonder how we can get the PSF to be billed instead of me, if
> the PSF accepts to fund such an instance (which, given EC2 prices, is perhaps
> not the best use of money?).

Send a request to psf-board at python.org. Such request should include:
- contact information (who'll be running this project)
- project purpose/description
- estimated expenses (in case of doubt, round up rather than
  rounding down)
- a proposal of how payment should proceed. I'm not quite sure whether
  it could be billed on the PSF credit card (you may ask Kurt Kaiser
  in advance); traditionally, it worked best when we received invoices.
There will be a board meeting next Monday, so it might be useful to
have a proposal by then.

As for whether that's good use of the money, I'm skeptical as well.
I don't actually know what EC2 prices *are*, or what the current pricing
for a root server is (plus there had been various offers from people
donating hardware - from people who would be unable to also donate
time).

There was discussion that an EC2 instance can be turned on only when
needed, so we could try to set up something like that (the build master
could then trigger activation of the machine, IIUC). However, it might
be that the machine would have to be up most of the day, as there would
be one build going on always, anyway.

Regards,
Martin