[Python-Dev] A new way to configure logging

Olemis Lang olemis at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 22:43:07 CET 2009

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Olemis Lang <olemis at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 10:49 AM, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> Olemis Lang <olemis <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> This kind of problems is similar to the one mentioned in another
>>> thread about modifying config options after executing commands. In
>>> that case I mentioned that the same dict-like interface also holds for
>>> WinReg and so on ...
>>>
>>> So thinking big (yes ! I have a big head ! ) I think that the best
>>> approach in this case is to build an adaptation (simple) layer on top
>>> of ConfigParser, JSON, WinReg, PyCode, YAML, ... and build specific
>>> extensions for these formats . Perhaps the proper interfaces are
>>> already there (e.g. `dict`, `shelve` ) and I'm just blind and looking
>>> somewhere else ;o)
>>
>> Sorry, you've lost me :-)
>>

> Never mind . I was just trying to say that using `dict`, an adapter
> could be implemented (if not already there ;o) for multiple formats
> like the ones I mentioned above and the solution would cover many
> config formats ... and also I was saying that I was not sure about
> whether this is correct , I mean for *ANY* config formats,

Intention = answer myself + sharing with you => for a better Pyland

Maybe we could learn something from Augeas [1]_ and use their
experience to include some of those features to `stdlib` . It seems to
be an ambitious attempt to put all the pieces in config-land together;
and AFAICS they handle (a lof of) config formats and have an API for
that, and ... CMIIW anyway

.. [1] Augeas
        (http://augeas.net/)

--