[Python-Dev] 2.7 Release? 2.7 == last of the 2.x line?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Tue Nov 3 02:56:18 CET 2009

    James> 2.x seems to be a fine edition of Python, why not let it keep
    James> going to 2.8 and beyond?

Resources would be my guess.  In much the same way that people move on to
newer releases of Windows, Mac OSX or Linux leaving an ever-dwindling group
available to support old versions, the same will be true of Python.  Over
time more and more of the core developers (and end users) will switch to 3.x
leaving fewer and fewer people with the time or inclination to support 2.x.

I think there are probably enough functional differences between 2.6 and 2.7
that releasing 2.7 makes sense.  The discussion at this point should
probably be what to do when 2.7 is out the door.  It makes sense to me to
merge the py3k branch to trunk coincident with the 2.7/3.2 releases and
creation of the release27-maint and release32-maint branches.  3.3 and
future versions would then be released from trunk and there would be no
further 2.x releases.

Skip