[Python-Dev] 2.7 Release? 2.7 == last of the 2.x line?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Nov 3 13:55:34 CET 2009

On Nov 3, 2009, at 1:07 AM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> Barry Warsaw wrote:
>> On Nov 2, 2009, at 10:48 PM, ssteinerX at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> A better language, i.e. Python 3.x, will become better faster
>>> without
>>> dragging the 2.x series out any longer.
>>
>> If Python 2.7 becomes the last of the 2.x series, then I personally
>> favor back porting as many features from Python 3 as possible.
>
> And if *2.6* becomes the last of the 2.x series?

Then clearly we can't back port features.

I'd like to read some case studies of people who have migrated
applications from 2.6 to 3.0.  Having just gone through a 2 week
sprint to migrate Launchpad from 2.4 to 2.6, and only making it to
2.5, I can say that I was unpleasantly surprised at the amount of work
it took.  A lot of that was working out the dependency upgrades, with
some amount of fixing our code (mostly tests) for things that have
changed (e.g. exception print/str format).  We didn't make it to
Python 2.6 because dealing with deprecation warnings for sha, md5, and
sets (a little in our code but tons in our dependencies) consumed most
of our remaining time.

Given another week or so I think we would have made it to Python 2.6,
but I'm not at all confident that that would have been a good enough
platform to attempt an upgrade to Python 3, even if all of our very
numerous large dependencies were available for Python 3.  Maybe it
wouldn't be so bad, but my recent experience informs me that I'm
probably being too optimistic rather than too pessimistic.

-Barry