[Python-Dev] 2.7 Release? 2.7 == last of the 2.x line?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Tue Nov 3 16:23:39 CET 2009

    Martin> And if *2.6* becomes the last of the 2.x series?

With all due respect, I don't think you can make that decision now.  The
time to have stated 2.6 would be the end of the 2.x line was when 2.6 was
released.  At that point instead of opening up the trunk for changes you
would have closed it off or merged the py3k branch to trunk.  2.6.0 was
released over a year ago and there has been no effort to suppress bug fix or
feature additions to trunk since then.  If you call 2.6 "the end of 2.x"
you'll have wasted a year of work on 2.7 with about a month to go before the
first 2.7 alpha release.

If you want to accelerate release of 2.7 (fewer alphas, compressed schedule,
etc) that's fine, but I don't think you can turn back the clock at this
point and decree that 2.7 is dead.

Skip