[Python-Dev] 2.7 Release? 2.7 == last of the 2.x line?

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Tue Nov 3 18:44:58 CET 2009

Raymond Hettinger schrieb:
> [Michael Foord]
>> What will it take to *start* the port? (Or is it already underway?) For
>> many projects I fear that it is only the impending obsolescence (real
>> rather than theoretical) of Python 2 that will convince projects to port.
>
> FWIW, I do not buy into the several premises that have arisen in this thread:
>

> * For 3.x to succeed, something bad has to happen to 2.x.  (which in my book
> translates to intentionally harming 2.x users, either through neglect or
> force, in order to bait them into switching to 3.x).
>
> * Core developers will are losing time supporting 2.x. (backports take some
> time but it is small in comparison to getting a patch to work in the first
> place -- if anyone can comment on this assertion,  it is the people who have
> been doing it already (such as AP, MD, BP, GB, and myself)).

I agree.  However I wouldn't want to lose the amount of work I've put into 2.7.

While reviewing the 2.6 "svnmerge avail" output, I also got the impression that
a *significant* number of fixes were not backported to 2.6.  I don't have the
time to go through a 300+ kb change log and find out what to backport, just
based on commit messages that are not always clear on whether a fix or feature
was added.

So if we kill 2.7, we at least need to make sure no real improvements that
should have been in 2.x are lost.

Georg