[Python-Dev] 2.7 Release? 2.7 == last of the 2.x line?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Nov 3 19:09:29 CET 2009

>> You may also want to take a look at my ZODB port:
>>
>> https://www.dcl.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/home/loewis/zodb/
>
> Has that port been integrated back into the zodb project?

Only partially so.

> If not, it
> would be interesting to know the reasons (zodb project maintainers not
> interested, barriers to contribution are too high, port is not 100%
> complete and no-one willing to take it over and complete it...?)

ZODB is a lot of layers, really (zope.interfaces, zope.lockfile,
zope.proxy, ZConfig, etc..., finally ZODB).

I failed to port buildout and zope.testing. With zope.testing not
ported, it is not easy to actually run the test suites for all of
these; this is where the integration stalled.

In any case, I only did the port in September; at the DZUG sprint,
people from gocept then started looking into integrating it.
We didn't get through at the sprint, and I think there has been
little progress since.

One specific issue was about specifying the root of the zope.interfaces
hierarchy. In current zope.interfaces, None could be used (implicitly)
instead of Interface, to indicate the root interface type. In 3.x, this
would break tests, because you can't sort a list of interfaces anymore
if that list also contains None. So people decided that zope.interfaces
needs to be changed to disallow None, and that was a significant change
that has not yet been fully understood.

Regards,
Martin