[Python-Dev] PEP 3003 - Python Language Moratorium

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Nov 3 21:01:07 CET 2009

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 11:21 AM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> Are you going to gauge it roughly from python-dev feedback, or should
> we take a more formal vote on python-committers once the PEP has
> settled?

I'll not take a formal vote unless the discussion suggests there's a
lot of pushback. So far I've seen very little.

>> The PEP tries to spell out some gray areas but I'm sure there will be
>> others; that's life. Do note that the PEP proposes to be *retroactive*
>> back to the 3.1 release, i.e. the "frozen" version of the language is
>> the state in which it was released as 3.1.
>
> I'm obviously +1 for this.
>
> I think one thing to decide is how long the moratorium is in effect.
> As of right now the PEP's abstract says for "at least two years",

Yeah, I changed that from Jesse's and your "not to exceed two years".

> which taking into account the release schedule Benjamin is proposing
> and assuming acceptance at the end of the year puts us at roughly the
> release of Python 3.3. Should we just say this will be in affect until
> development is open for Python 3.4?

I like the actual time limit, because it doesn't allow the backdoor of
releasing 3.4 early. I'm fine with saying the moratorium effectively
ends after 3.3 is released.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)