[Python-Dev] 2.7 Release? 2.7 == last of the 2.x line?

Mike Klaas mike.klaas at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 22:05:19 CET 2009

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 10:42 AM, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:

> ssteinerX at gmail.com schrieb:
> >
> > On Nov 3, 2009, at 12:28 PM, Arc Riley wrote:
> >>
> >> The main thing holding back the community are lazy and/or obstinate
> >> package maintainers.  If they spent half the time they've put into
> >> complaining about Py3 into actually working to upgrade their code
> >> they'd be done now.
> >
> > That's an inflammatory, defamatory, unsubstantiated, hyperbolic,
> > sweeping overgeneralization.
>
> I know a few maintainers, and I have no problem seeing how Arc came
> to that conclusion.

Be that as it may, the only way python 3 will be widely adopted if people
have motivation to (need to be compatible with other libs, pressure from
users, their own interest in fostering python 3.0, etc.).  Deriding them as
"lazy" accomplishes nothing and obscures the fact that it is the python
maintainers responsibility to bring about this motivation if they want
python 3.0 to be adopted.  No-one is going to convert to python 3.0 because
you called them lazy.

-Mike