[Python-Dev] 2.7 Release? 2.7 == last of the 2.x line?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Nov 4 07:07:24 CET 2009

>> But only if NumPy would drop support for 2.x, for x < 7, right?
>> That would probably be many years in the future.
>
> Yes. Today, given the choice of supporting py 3.x and dropping python
> < 2.7 and continue support for 2.4, the latter is by far my preferred
> choice today (RHEL still require 2.4, for example).

However, you don't have to make that choice. You can support 2.4 and 3.x
simultaneously; IMO, any simplification resulting from possible
backports is really minor compared to the rest of the work that you
would have to do, anyway.

For example, porting to the new buffer interface is may be difficult
and/or a lot of work, and you'll have to do it, anyway. Making it then
conditional (with preprocessor statements), and maintaining both APIs
in parallel for some time, is really not that hard, IMO.

Regards,
Martin