[Python-Dev] 2.7 Release? 2.7 == last of the 2.x line?

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 09:40:35 CET 2009

2009/11/4 Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at twistedmatrix.com>:
> On Nov 3, 2009, at 5:16 PM, Paul Moore wrote:
>>
>> 2009/11/3 Brett Cannon <brett at python.org>:
>>>
>>> I'm afraid there is some FUD going around here, which is
>>> understandable since no one wants to burn a ton of time on something
>>> that will be difficult or take a lot of time. But I have not heard
>>> anyone in this email thread (or anywhere for that matter) say that
>>> they tried a port in earnest and it turned out to be difficult.
>
>> FWIW, I did a quick survey of some packages (a sampling of packages
>> I've used or considered using in the past):
>>
>> Twisted - no plans yet for Python 3
>

> Speaking of FUD, we've had a plan for Python 3 support for some time:
[...]

Thanks, and my sincere apologies for spreading FUD - I did try to find
details, and in fact I did spot a couple of the specific python 3
compatibility tickets you mentioned, but missed the link back to the
master plan.

Having said that,

>  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/172306/how-are-you-planning-on-handling-the-migration-to-python-3/214601#214601

seems pretty negative in terms of when Twisted will support Python 3.
Based on my reading, the focus is more on when 2.x support will be
dropped than on when there will be a version of Twisted which works
with Python 3 (which I'd expect to be much sooner!)

> If you're interested in helping, our core team has all not had much time for
> Twisted lately and we need volunteers who are interested in doing code
> reviews and becoming a committer to help shepherd these tickets through the
> process.

Personally, I don't *use* twisted. I occasionally play with it, and I
sometimes end up using applications which rely on it, but I don't use
it myself. So I couldn't be much direct help. (And yes, I know that
means I'm not one of your users, so me asking for Python 3 support
isn't an issue. No problem there).

Paul.