[Python-Dev] Refactoring installation schemes

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 13:29:35 CET 2009

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 7:05 PM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok then I'll work on a patch for that change and start an issue about it soon.

As I expected, being able to provide all those paths pulls a lot of
other stuffs out of distutils.

In fact, almost all the APIs that are located in distutils/sysconfig
can be taken out of distutils, and cleaned up for stdlib's benefit.
I've started to refactor the code in a module I have called
"sysconfig", reusing distutils/sysconfig, distutils/command/install
and site code.

This "sysconfig" module should provide at the end very useful APIs to
query the current Python environment.

That's a work in progress but: I've started a branch at
/python/branches/tarek_sysconfig so it's easier to get some feedbacks
if anyone want to help on this.

Regards
Tarek