[Python-Dev] PEP 3003 - Python Language Moratorium

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Thu Nov 5 10:13:55 CET 2009

Stefan Behnel wrote:
> Guido van Rossum, 03.11.2009 18:35:
>
>> Python, as a language is more than the core implementation --
>> CPython -- with a rich, mature and vibrant community of implementations,
>> such as Jython [2]_, IronPython [3]_ and PyPy [4]_ that are a benefit
>> not only to the community, but to the language itself.
>>

> I noticed that this says "such as", but if it's intended to name the major
> implementations, I wonder why Cython is missing from that list.

Is Cython an implementation of Python?

It's a grey area, but it seems like Cython is a "Python inspired"
language (similar to Shedskin) rather than an implementation of Python:

    The Cython language is very close to the Python language, but Cython
additionally supports calling C functions and declaring C types on
variables and class attributes. This allows the compiler to generate
very efficient C code from Cython code.

(From http://www.cython.org/ )

There are several partial implementations, including Python inspired
languages, but if we are looking at 'major complete implementations'
then the current list seems to be: CPython, Jython, IronPython and PyPy.
Even Unladen Swallow is a fork (sorry - I mean branch) of CPython rather
than a separate implementation.

All the best,

Michael Foord

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/