[Python-Dev] PEP 3003 - Python Language Moratorium

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 11:58:40 CET 2009

> To me, the term "Python implementation" just means something that
> implements the Python language. That shouldn't prevent it from providing
> additional features. Jython can interface with Java code, IronPython can
> interface with .NET code, Cython can interface with C code. Not sure what
> PyPy allows in addition to being a Python implementation, but there surely
> are language features also in PyPy that no other Python implementation
> provides.
>
> Stefan

Hi.

Features available in PyPy (or Java or IronPython) are not language features.
These are features are available through normal python syntax, just
some libraries
are available extra. Python is something that passes most of CPython's test
suite, modulo stuff that is considered implementation detail (like
reference counting).
In fact, some of extra PyPy features can be achieved via extension modules like
greenlets.

Cython might as well at some point become one, but so far it does not even
import the whole test suite (correct me if I'm wrong), hence it's not
yet python.

Even if the ultimate goal is to support whole Python, it's not
achieved yet, so it
should not be considered implementation of Python (as of today, it might as well
be one tomorrow).

Cheers,
fijal