[Python-Dev] Cython as a Python implementation

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Nov 5 16:57:19 CET 2009

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 4:53 AM, Thomas Heller <theller at ctypes.org> wrote:
> Dirkjan Ochtman schrieb:
>> On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 13:13, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:
>>> Would you consider Cython a Python implementation if we implemented this?
>>> (which I guess we will do anyway at some point, simply because the
>>> extensions are actually invalid code in the given context)
>>
>> Why do you want to be recognized as a Python implementation, anyway? I
>> don't really understand why this seems so important to you.
>
> Advertising, I assume.  That's what Stefan often does (at least it feels
> this way, for me).

I'm skeptical about Cython as a Python implementation. AFAIK it
requires CPython to work (for the runtime functionality) and while
Cython's syntax is very Python-like, it is probably best characterized
as an extended subset (:-). I guess when it runs the entire standard
test suite without errors it could claim to be a Python
implementation; until then, I would rather consider it a useful tool
to go with CPython. (The name is actually a bit confusing, but I don't
have a desire to change it.)

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)