[Python-Dev] 2.7 Release? 2.7 == last of the 2.x line?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Nov 5 21:08:07 CET 2009

> Mike Krell wrote:
>>     Well, 3to2 would then be an option for you: use Python 3 as the source
>>     language.
>
> Making life easier for 3to2 is an *excellent* rationale for backports.

I'm skeptical. If new features get added to 2.7: why would that simplify
3to2? It couldn't *use* these features, since it surely would have to
support 2.6 and earlier as well.

Not sure what 3to2 would do about difficult-to-convert 3.x feature (as,
perhaps, the nonlocal keyword). If it currently gives up, it then may
offer you to restrict your target versions to 2.7+. Not sure whether
users would use that option, though - perhaps they rather stop using
nonlocal in 3.x if 3to2 cannot support it for all 2.x versions they are
interested in.

Perhaps 3to2 has a work-around that still provides a good backport in
most cases. Then, the backport would not make the tool any simpler: if
3to2 would start using the backport, it would actually get more
complicated (not easier), as it now needs to support two cases.

Regards,
Martin