[Python-Dev] PEP 3003 - Python Language Moratorium

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Nov 6 06:55:51 CET 2009

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 19:23, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 3:35 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 15:26, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
>>> I have come to the conclusion that there are better ways to
>>> pre-announce that a module is going to disappear instead of
>>> deprecation warnings.
>>
>> What exactly are those better ways? Document as deprecated only?
>
> Sorry, I have an existence proof, but no construction. :-)
>
> Ideas welcome. Silent deprecations, loud documentation, biweekly home
> visits, whatever, as long as it doesn't log a message by default.

Well, one option is to come up with the equivalent of -3, but for all
warnings; the antithesis of -W. And obviously glaring deprecation
warnings in the docs (removal has been discussed but always shot down
as someone who comes across old code might still need docs for it).

The clarification I need is will this in any way influence when
modules are removed. If they stay in for the life of a major version
then I want it made clear that bug fixes for the code take lower
priority over all other code in the standard library.

-Brett