[Python-Dev] Retrieve an arbitrary element from asetwithoutremoving it

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Sat Nov 7 00:59:10 CET 2009

Chris Bergstresser schrieb:
> On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 11:43 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> I read Raymond's suggestion rather as a question: why bother with a
>> tedious, multi-year process, when a three-line function will achieve
>> exactly the same?
>
>    Because it doesn't achieve exactly the same.  What I want is a
> sane, rational way to describe what I'm doing in the core API, so
> other programmers learning the language don't spend the amount of time
> I did perplexed that there was a .pop() and a .remove() and a
> .discard(), but there wasn't a .pick().  I don't want to have to write
> the same little helper function in every project to fill a deficiency
> in the library.

Why don't you write that little helper function only in those projects that
actually need it?  I suspect that will be a small fraction...

> I don't want to have to argue about the flaws in
> solutions with race conditions, or the fact that cheap functions
> become expensive functions when performed over the network, or that
> there's a real value in having an atomic operation which throws a sane
> exception when it fails, or how it's disturbing to my OCD core to have
> an API which believes:
>
>   if x in s:
>     s.remove(x)
>
> ... is too confusing, so there should be a .discard() method, but ...
>
>   for x in s:
>     break
>
> ... is self-evident and obvious, so there's no need for a .pick().

It's not just the self-evidence of the required "workaround" that determines
whether an API function is added to a builtin type.  It's whether you need it.
Imagine someone asking for a function on lists that removes duplicates, but
keeps the order of all first occurrences.  This is not a completely unimaginable
method, and writing it by hand is more than a few lines (see e.g.
http://code.activestate.com/recipes/52560/#c1).  Still, it's not needed
frequently enough to require being a list method.

Georg