[Python-Dev] Reworking the GIL

Baptiste Lepilleur baptiste.lepilleur at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 11:51:58 CET 2009

Hi Antoine,
I was finally able to compile py3k and run the benchmark (my compilation
issue was caused by checking out on Windows and compiling on Unix. Some
Makefile templates are missing correct EOL properties in SVN I think).

The benchmark results can be obtained from:
http://gaiacrtn.free.fr/py/benchmark-newgil/benchmark-newgil.tar.bz2
and viewed from:
http://gaiacrtn.free.fr/py/benchmark-newgil/

I ran the benchmark on two platforms:

   - Solaris X86, 16 cores: some python extension are likely missing (see
   config.log)
   - Windows XP SP3, 4 cores: all python extensions but TCL (I didn't bother
   checking why it failed as it is not used in the benchmark). It is a release
   build.

The results look promising but I let you share your conclusion (some latency
results seem a bit strange from my understanding).

Side-note: PCBuild requires nasmw.exe but it no longer exists in the latest
version. I had to rename nasm.exe to nasmw.exe. Would be nice to add this to
the readme to avoid confusion...

Baptiste.