[Python-Dev] PEP 3003 - Python Language Moratorium

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Mon Nov 9 18:12:28 CET 2009

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 19:50, geremy condra <debatem1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 9:41 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 5:45 PM, geremy condra <debatem1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I quote:
>>>
>>> "This PEP proposes a temporary moratorium (suspension) of all changes
>>> to the Python language syntax, semantics, and built-ins for a period
>>> of *at least two years* from the release of Python 3.1."
>>>
>>> Emphasis mine.
>>
>> I since added this:
>>
>> """In particular,
>> the moratorium would include Python 3.2 (to be released 18-24 months
>> after 3.1) but (unless explicitly extended) allow Python 3.3 to once
>> again include language changes."""
>>
>>> Like I say, a definite end point would be much preferred to n > 2.
>>
>> My time machine doesn't work very well in the future. So I can't tell
>> what we'll find necessary 2 years from now. But I would be fine with
>> defining the time limit to be max(time(3.1) + 2 years, time(3.2)).
>> I.e. the moratorium (unless explicitly extended) ends as soon as 3.2
>> has been released *and* at least 2 years have passed since 3.1.
>
> Ok, thanks for the clarification. Could you spell out what you would
> consider grounds for a future extension?

We feel it's necessary as a group or Guido does, simple as that. You
can't plan it since it's over two years away. If the time comes and
people feel the moratorium has been beneficial and should go longer,
we will extend it. It will most likely be for the same reasons we
started it.

>>> If possible, I'd also like to hear some of Steven's other points addressed.
>>
>> They haven't changed my mind.
>
> Ok, but the fact that you (or Steven) hold a particular set of beliefs
> is a singularly unconvincing argument.

I disagree. Guido is the BDFL so his set of beliefs is enough unless
faced with a huge number of people disagreeing. That has not occurred
on this topic.

>Could you explain why you
> don't agree, if only for the record?

Enough happens on python-dev based on gut feeling that there isn't a
need. If we had to spell out objections to every email we received
while discussing a PEP, threads would never end. Heck, I think this
PEP discussion as gone on long enough and that Guido could pronounce
at this point.

-Brett