[Python-Dev] IDLE as default Python editor

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Nov 9 23:10:56 CET 2009

Nick Coghlan wrote:
> Ben Finney wrote:
>> anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Quite an interesting question recently popped up in pygame community
>>> that I'd like to ask to Python developers.
>> This forum is specifically about development *of* Python.
>
> Anatoly's question is actually a fair one for python-dev - we're the
> ones that *ship* Idle, so it is legitimate to ask our reasons for
> continuing to do so.

But he didn't - instead, he asked how many of us use it. Usage by
committers is not (or shouldn't be) a primary criterion for including
or not including something. Instead, usage in the community should be,
and python-dev is indeed the wrong place to estimate that.

OTOH, the second (or, rather, third) question (does anybody think it
should be replaced) is indeed on-topic for python-dev.

I didn't really answer that question before, so I do now: I have not
personally plans to replace it, and I'm skeptical wrt. anybody else's
plans unless there is specific code in existence that IDLE could be
replaced *with*.

Regards,
Martin