[Python-Dev] Replacing IDLE

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Nov 10 17:44:29 CET 2009

On 10 Nov, 2009, at 17:20, anatoly techtonik wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 12:10 AM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> Anatoly's question is actually a fair one for python-dev - we're the
>>> ones that *ship* Idle, so it is legitimate to ask our reasons for
>>> continuing to do so.
>>
>> OTOH, the second (or, rather, third) question (does anybody think it
>> should be replaced) is indeed on-topic for python-dev.
>
> That is the exact question I have in my mind. Sorry for not being able
> to state it clearly. I'll be more straightforward next time.

What's so bad about IDLE that you'd like to replace it? The obvious alternative to replacing IDLE is to fix whatever is wrong with it.

I sometimes use IDLE and it's not too bad as a simple Python editor.  A major reason for not using it more often is that the keystrokes for my prefered text-editor are in my muscle memory and IDLE is not that much of an improvement over my current habits that I'm willing the re-educate myself.

Ronald