[Python-Dev] Replacing IDLE

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Nov 10 21:49:28 CET 2009

> If we filter list of http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonEditors by
> language/license/framework, we will be able to see if there is any
> suitable open source Python code to replace IDLE's.

This is not how it works. We cannot incorporate something into Python
without explicit consent and support from the author(s). So for any
editor to be incorporated as a replacement (along with all libraries
it depends on) we would need a commitment from the author(s) that they
support the fork that we create (and eventually abandon their
stand-alone release in favor of the fork).

> Should we place an editor first and combine the list a of unique
> features of IDLE that we (as developers) will surely miss  OR  should
> we think what GUI framework will be more beneficial for Python users
> if shipped by default (keeping in mind that we might have to add
> missing features to whatever editor we choose later)?

I think neither approach can possibly work. It's always the authors of
contribution who need to act first.

Regards,
Martin