[Python-Dev] 2.7/3.2 release schedule

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Nov 10 22:05:41 CET 2009

>> PEP 3003 states that Python 3.2 will be released 18-24 months after
>> Python 3.1. Python 3.1 was released on June 2009-06-27 [1], so
>> theoretically Python 3.2 should be released not before 2010-12-19 [2].
>
> The PEP 3003 text isn't allowing for the fact that 3.1 is "3.0 as it
> should have been", so the starting point for the 18-24 month rule of
> thumb is actually back when 3.0 was released in Dec 2008. This was
> discussed a fair bit back when the decision was made to do the short
> release cycle between 3.0 and 3.1 in order to address some of the more
> glaring shortcomings of the 3.0 release.

I agree with everybody else who said that

a) there was *no* consensus that the release cycle for 3.2 should be
   shortened because of 3.1 being released early. I also remember the
   opposite.

b) whatever past discussion may have been, it would be a mistake to
   release 3.2 earlier than 18 months after 3.1.

Of course, 2.7 *could* be released by the proposed schedule; it just
would have to be decoupled from 3.2 (just as 2.6 eventually got
decoupled from 3.0).

I personally think that decoupling the releases would be best, i.e.
not start thinking about 3.2 for another 6 months.

Regards,
Martin