[Python-Dev] 2.7/3.2 release schedule

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 22:18:23 CET 2009

Raymond Hettinger wrote:

> [MvL]
>>> I personally think that decoupling the releases would be best, i.e.
>>> not start thinking about 3.2 for another 6 months.
>
> [Benjamin]
>> The problem with that is that there is a period of time where 2.x has
>> features which 3.x doesn't. My preference is to move back the whole
>> schedule 6 months.
>
> My preference is to decouple and let 2.7 go out 18 months after 2.6.
> In general, 2.x users should not have to pay a price for whatever
> we do with 3.x.

And I guess anyone doing forward ports is likely going to be maintaining
2.6 compatibility anyway, so waiting until 3.2 comes out before using
new 2.7 features wouldn't be a major burden.

I think I've decided I don't mind either way, so I'm fine with whichever
approach is easier for Benjamin and the platform installer builders to
manage.

Cheers,
Nick.