[Python-Dev] standard libraries don't behave like standard 'libraries'

Sriram Srinivasan naughtysriram at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 11:54:58 CET 2009

> I don't really understand your requirements, but it sound like you want a
> package management system. The standard library just provides a standard set
> of tools (it is the books not the book management system - although part of
> what you want is in the standard library in the form of distutils which is
> currently receiving a radical overhaul).
>
> You should look at Distribute and virtualenv, which gets you pretty much
> what you are suggesting (as far as I can tell):
>
>   http://pypi.python.org/pypi/virtualenv
>   http://pypi.python.org/pypi/distribute
>
> All the best,
>
> Michael Foord

I don't know if you have used
Dev-C++<http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/index.html%20>. It has a 'package
management' mechanism for the standard libraries.
please see the http://devpaks.org/ webpage where all the packaged libraries
are stored.

In python we have the PyPI which is equivalent to the
http://devpacks.orgbut in PyPI the packages are all user made
applications.
What I want is similar to PyPI but for the python standard libraries, so
that they (libraries) are as add-on as possible.

I guess you understand what I am thinking... and do pardon my english too..

--

Regards,
Sriram.