[Python-Dev] PyPI comments and ratings, *really*?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Nov 12 15:25:56 CET 2009

On Nov 12, 2009, at 8:06 AM, Jesse Noller wrote:

> Frankly, I agree with him. As implemented, I *and others* think this
> is broken. I've taken the stance of not publishing things to PyPi
> until A> I find the time to contribute to make it better or B> It
> changes.

That's distressing.  For better or worse PyPI is the central
repository of 3rd party packages.  It should be easy, desirable, fun
and socially encouraged to get your packages there.

I personally think a ratings system can be useful, but you should be
able to opt-out of it if you want.  Or just write such awesome
software that the bogus bad reviews will be buried by an avalanche of
kudos.

-Barry