[Python-Dev] PyPI comments and ratings, *really*?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Nov 12 17:02:46 CET 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 5:38 AM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 08:44:32 pm Ludvig Ericson wrote:
>> Why are there comments on PyPI? Moreso, why are there comments which
>> I cannot control as a package author on my very own packages? That's
>> just absurd.
>
> No, what's absurd is thinking that the act of publishing software
> somehow gives you the right to demand control over what others say
> about your software.
>
> I don't suppose that this rant of yours has something to do with the
> comment posted today?
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/spypam/1.0

If you were to ask me, the people arguing against ratings and user
comments are fighting a losing battle. If they had an iPhone or
Android phone (or some other device with an "app store" kind of place
to find downloads) they'd know the value (for prospective downloaders)
of ratings and comments. Now, I think PyPI can use some (perhaps a lot
of) improvement in the details of how it works, e.g. there should be a
way to flag inappropriate messages (and users who post many
inappropriate messages) and the software author should be able to talk
back, but the general idea is here and won't go away by wishing it
away.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)