[Python-Dev] PyPI comments and ratings, *really*?

Jacob Kaplan-Moss jacob at jacobian.org
Thu Nov 12 20:45:45 CET 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 1:30 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> Yeah, but you're not exactly an average user. Most users don't know
> how to use a bug tracker.

But they do know how to use mailing lists. Or IRC chats. Or support forums.

Those places have (for many projects) tens, hundreds, or even
thousands of peers who are able and willing to help new users get
started. Only the package maintainers see comments on PyPI, meaning
we've got to deal with requests for support there manually.

This isn't academic; just this morning a user asked a question on
Django's PyPI listing that would have been better asked on any of the
support channels we provide. I have no way of directing him there
besides lamely commenting after the fact, and then it just seems like
I'm giving him the runaround.

Look, nobody's asking to kill the feature. We're asking to *make it
optional*, and to allow us to link to a more appropriate support forum
instead. Can you please explain to me what's wrong with that?

Jacob