[Python-Dev] PyPI comments and ratings, *really*?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Nov 12 22:11:03 CET 2009

Masklinn <masklinn at masklinn.net> writes:

> On 12 Nov 2009, at 17:31 , Jesse Noller wrote:
> > But before we even did those; why not have mandatory links for
> > entries to bug trackers, mailing lists, source repositories, etc?
> > I'm saying saying this doesn't seem well thought out, and the
> > current implementation is broken by design. Of course, as I said
> > earlier; since I don't have time to patch it; I'll simply just not
> > participate.
> I think having links to those is a very good idea and more important
> than a comment/notation system. They shouldn't be mandatory though,
> not every library has a mailing list, or even a (public anyway) bug
> tracker.

I think Jesse's point (or, if he's not willing to claim it, my point) is
that, compared to the mandatory comment system, it makes much *more*
sense to have a mandatory field for “URL to the BTS for this project”.

At least it can be expected that in many cases project maintainers will
*want* to use a conventional BTS, VCS, discussion forum, etc. So that
route makes more sense than a mandatory comment system outside the
project maintainer's control, while providing the user-participation
that is the purported motivation.

--
 \        “Spam will be a thing of the past in two years' time.” —Bill |
  `\                                                 Gates, 2004-01-24 |