[Python-Dev] PyPI comments and ratings, *really*?

Masklinn masklinn at masklinn.net
Fri Nov 13 00:30:59 CET 2009

On 13 Nov 2009, at 00:15 , Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> Masklinn <masklinn <at> masklinn.net> writes:
>>
>> On 13 Nov 2009, at 00:00 , Antoine Pitrou wrote:
>>>
>>> Then why not simply add a sentence or two before the comment form warning
> that
>>> the comment system is not meant to ask for help, support or debugging about
> the
>>> package?
>> Because users don't read warnings.
> I don't like assuming users are idiots.
You don't have to. It's about expediency and care (or lack thereof) rather than idiocy. User(*) wants a solution, user finds place where he could ask, user asks.

Users (which includes e.g. language users) tend to be lazy, rather than stupid.

>> The warning will therefore be promptly ignored, and then the
>> aforementioned user will start ripping on the package because he didn't get
>> help following his comment.
> And then it's easy to point out that he was wrong if there was a warning in the
> first place.
And then user will probably ask why you're not answering the question since you're here anyway, or might go as far as telling you that if you're not going to help you might as well not answer.

*: not every user, but I believe a significant minority at least.