[Python-Dev] PyPI comments and ratings, *really*?

Neil Hodgson nyamatongwe at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 00:32:51 CET 2009

   When SourceForge started having comments and ratings, I was a
little upset at having poor negative comments there (like "not
work!"). But after it has been running for a while it appears useful.
I suppose it helps that Scintilla has 88% thumbs up from 134
respondents. Because there is voting on comments, the more useful
comments have bubbled onto the front page.

   As the system is used more, you'll see a wider range of comments on
projects and you'll be able to tell more from them. It should be seen
as a completely separate thing to the existing fora and trackers that
each project has. While you want people to become involved in your
project, many are just having a quick look and don't want to sign up
for mailing lists or to interact with project members. They may just
want to quickly comment about whether it was suitable or not.

   Neil