[Python-Dev] PyPI comments and ratings, *really*?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri Nov 13 00:54:50 CET 2009

"Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> writes:

> PyPI is not just (and perhaps not even primarily) there for the
> package authors, but for the package users (and not surprisingly, it's
> primarily the package authors who ask for banning the user opinions).

No-one here is asking for “banning the user opinions”. As already
pointed out, users are not mute; there are plenty of places for them to
have a voice.

I understand the mood here to be, not that user feedback is not wanted,
but rather that PyPI in particular should be a place for *objective*
data about a package.

> I'm just not willing to submit to one side; hence the poll.

I hope the poll question will not be as biased as the above
mischaracterisation. If you ask “do you want feedback from users?” or
something similar, that's missing the point entirely, and a “yes” answer
doesn't speak to this discussion at all.

--
 \        “Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code |
  `\     will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.” —John |