[Python-Dev] PyPI comments and ratings, *really*?

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Fri Nov 13 01:51:08 CET 2009

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 01:27:47 +0100, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de>
wrote:
> Not sure; you would have to ask Grig. Apparently, there is a service
> running somewhere that computes cheesecake data for PyPI packages;
> it also sends them to PyPI. People have expressed to concerns that any
> kind of ranking based on kwalitee sounds fairly useless.

Of course.

"Package Quality Metrics" would be a much better term.

Still, the ideas they had were good.

CPAN runs such a bot on all packages daily. Obviously they do it
on seperate machines.

Introducing any change is going to have people complain. Checking
package authors packages is much like a dentist check. It mightn't
be totally pleasant while its happening.

But then if it isn't done, a user can then reflect and ask why
nothing is being done to look at overall package quality. Which
is currently the case.

Processing so many packages for so many platforms is a monstrous
task. Nobody should get the idea it can be done by the weekend.

It will take a few months... well at the rate I am going
anyway..

David