[Python-Dev] PyPI comments and ratings, *really*?

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 05:47:39 CET 2009

2009/11/12 Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org>:
> If you were to ask me, the people arguing against ratings and user
> comments are fighting a losing battle. If they had an iPhone or
> Android phone (or some other device with an "app store" kind of place
> to find downloads) they'd know the value (for prospective downloaders)
> of ratings and comments. Now, I think PyPI can use some (perhaps a lot
> of) improvement in the details of how it works, e.g. there should be a
> way to flag inappropriate messages (and users who post many
> inappropriate messages) and the software author should be able to talk
> back, but the general idea is here and won't go away by wishing it
> away.

Sure. But then we need moderation, spam filtering, flagging, etc. We
need to implement a whole discussion forum basically. We also need to
mark comments with the version they are relevant for and allow authors
to mark that comments are not longer valid. In fact, we get a
bug-tracker as well.

Maybe we should just install a trac per package? :-)

http://regebro.wordpress.com/
+33 661 58 14 64