[Python-Dev] PyPI comments and ratings, *really*?

Jacob Kaplan-Moss jacob at jacobian.org
Fri Nov 13 23:17:40 CET 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 1:33 PM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> By the way, there's no way for me to vote that I don't care what
> option ends up being chosen, but I strongly oppose choosing something
> that would tend to make developers avoid using PyPI.

I think the damage has already been done. There are enough people --
I'm one -- who feel this has revealed huge flaws in PyPI's
stewardship. I'm pretty convinced, results of the poll or not, that
the way PyPI is being run is fatally flawed.

This "poll" business is just smoke and mirrors, anyway -- notice the
way the "no comments" votors are split among three choices, while the
"pro comments" voters have just two choices. It's also worded in a way
that obscures the real debate. Regardless of the outcome, the poll's
not going to change anyone's mind, and it certainly won't change the
fact that PyPI's being run as a one-man show, not as a community
resource.

I'm just not comfortable with that. Unless PyPI changes its governance
radically, I'm not going to invest any more effort in it.

Jacob