[Python-Dev] PyPI comments and ratings, *really*?

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Nov 14 00:18:12 CET 2009

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 09:57:18 am Ben Finney wrote:
> "A.M. Kuchling" <amk at amk.ca> writes:
> > If popular vote is ruled out, I don't see who else could possibly
> > make the decision to disable comments and/or ratings.
>
> Reasoned argument with the person who decides. A bad idea with many
> people's support is still a bad idea; a good idea with few people's
> support is still a good idea.

Okay, let's talk reasoned debate.

I understand the reason for making comments compulsory: they're for the
benefit of the users, not the package owner. It helps prevent
information about the package from being fragmented: there is One
Obvious place to find out about a package on PyPI, which is the PyPI
page, instead of having to search for blogs where people may or may not
have made comments about the package. If individual package owners
don't like this, too bad, because PyPI is run for the benefit of the
community, not individual package owners.

I understand the reason for making comments optional: personal choice of
the package owner is valuable in and of itself, even if it is against
the best interests of the community.

But for the life of me, I can't understand the 1/3 of the votes that
have been cast in favour of prohibiting comments for everybody, even
those who want comments.

--
Steven D'Aprano