[Python-Dev] PyPI comments and ratings, *really*?

Matthew Woodcraft matthew at woodcraft.me.uk
Sat Nov 14 01:00:52 CET 2009

Steven D'Aprano  <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> Why do you think it is okay to combine the Disallow vote, without also
> combining the Allow vote? Less than a third of the total votes are in
> favour of disallowing comments, with two-thirds in favour of allowing
> them.

I don't. I was giving one example of the problem with the plan of not
combining options at all.

I wasn't writing to take sides. I was trying to say that using 'first
past the post' voting with five options which are combinations of
different issues (comments, ratings, whether to allow package owners to
opt out) can't be expected to give a good decision.

I think there is no safe way to pick a winner from this vote (unless
more than half the voters choose a single option).

(As a general point, in any discussion it tends to be unhelpful to ask
"Why do you think X" unless the person you're asking has clearly
indicated that they do in fact think X.)

-M-