[Python-Dev] PyPI comments and ratings, *really*?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Sat Nov 14 01:45:17 CET 2009

    Jesse> I don't want us to impersonate the mindless, sub-useful drivel
    Jesse> found in App store/YouTube/etc comments 99% of the time or the
    Jesse> broken "5 star ratings" systems, etc. It's too easy to game.

I implemented a "5-star" system for Musi-Cal back in the day.  Now,
admittedly, rating musicians is a bit different than rating software, but
you would probably be surprised at how much offense one musician can take
when they discover that some other musician got a 4.7 rating and they only
got a 4.2.  :rolleyes:

It did take some effort to reduce the chance that the system would be
subverted.  Similar to a free software site such as PyPI (and unlike a
for-profit system such as the iTunes App Store), I think almost all people
realized that the rating system was there to help the community and that by
polluting the database they only hurt themselves.