[Python-Dev] Too many Python accounts

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Sun Nov 15 12:41:23 CET 2009

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> Fred can use his own OpenID ‘fred.example.org’, initially set up behind
>> the scenes to delegate to ‘bigcorp.example.com’ as the provider. Any
>> time he likes, Fred can *change* which provider is actually used for
>> authentication, without changing his OpenID. PyPI gets to find out which
>> provider Fred is using for the identity ‘fred.example.org’ each time it
>> performs discovery on that identity, not before.
>>

> Does that actually work? What actual OpenID provider allows me to claim
> 'fred.example.org' as my OpenID? Sure, one can use authentication
> delegation, by means of the openid.delegate link. However, that still
> doesn't make the claimed identifier fred.example.com, but
> bigcorp.example.com/fred.
>
> So the only thing users gain with delegation is that they don't need
> to remember the tedious URL that their provider assigns them. When they
> switch providers, their claimed ID will still change, and they'll have
> to reregister in all services they use.

No, the whole point of delegation is that I can use voidspace.org.uk as
my openid - backed with any provider I want. I can then use
voidspace.org.uk as my openid and not be tied to any provider.

I'm afraid the PyPI implementation of openid is useless to me too - I
want to use voidspace.org.uk as my openid but it doesn't let me.

All the best,

Michael

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog