[Python-Dev] Too many Python accounts

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Nov 15 19:57:04 CET 2009

>> So the only thing users gain with delegation is that they don't need
>> to remember the tedious URL that their provider assigns them. When they
>> switch providers, their claimed ID will still change, and they'll have
>> to reregister in all services they use.
>>

> No, the whole point of delegation is that I can use voidspace.org.uk as
> my openid - backed with any provider I want. I can then use
> voidspace.org.uk as my openid and not be tied to any provider.

I'm fairly skeptical that you actually do use voidspace.org.uk.
I can believe that this is what you type into the openid field -
but the ID that is validated to the relying party is
http://fuzzyman.myopenid.com/.

So when you change the provider (and hence the openid.delegate
value), you will have to create new accounts for all services
that you use, right?

> I'm afraid the PyPI implementation of openid is useless to me too - I
> want to use voidspace.org.uk as my openid but it doesn't let me.

See above - the services may let you *enter* that string, but it
isn't your openid.

Regards,
Martin