[Python-Dev] Too many Python accounts

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Mon Nov 16 20:01:13 CET 2009

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> Would it be possible to detect a change of provider and then offer the
>> option to migrate the account to the new provider (so long as it does
>> not conflict with another account)?
>>

> That would be possible - but again complicate the UI.

Why? You should only need to present this option *after* the user has
authenticated with the a different provider to the one associated with
their account (or perhaps on detecting that the provider is different -
but either way no UI changes until / unless the user actually has
changed provider). That complicates the UI code perhaps, but shouldn't
change the standard UI.

I don't think it should be given as an option to the user before they
have changed provider, given that one of the major use cases is to allow
the user to switch provider if their current one becomes unavailable. A
UI that only allows them to switch provider if they can first login via
their current provider would lock them out if their provider goes down.

Michael

--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog