[Python-Dev] Removal of intobject.h in 3.1

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon Nov 23 11:44:36 CET 2009

Eric Smith wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>> Since package developers are just starting to port things to 3.x and
>> many appear to be considering supporting both 2.7 and 3.1 (including
>> myself), I find it a bit strange that such an import aliasing header
>> was removed in 3.1.
>
> There's some discussion of this at http://bugs.python.org/issue7353
>
> You might want to comment there.

Thanks for pointing me to the that ticket.

Looks like Guido already commented on this, so intobject.h could
be revived in some form.

Since this file would only be used by extension modules and possibly
also include other helper macros, perhaps it'd be better to to rename
the file to py2compat.h or something along those lines ?!

We could then also have a py2compat.c to hold corresponding
C code, e.g. to provide compatibility wrappers of new APIs that
implement different semantics in 3.x.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Nov 23 2009)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/