[Python-Dev] PEP 391 ready for review

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 25 22:00:25 CET 2009

Full View
PEP 391 is, I believe, ready for review.

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0391/

I've
also worked up an implementation, though not yet checked it in: it's
available as a module "dictconfig.py" with accompanying unit tests in
"test_dictconfig.py", at:

http://bitbucket.org/vinay.sajip/dictconfig

believe I have incorporated into the PEP comments from people both here
and on python-list. There have been comments in favour of the proposal, no objections to the proposal as a
whole, and some questions and objections about specific details. I believe
I have addressed these with changes to the PEP.

Discussion threads on python-dev:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2009-October/092695.html
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2009-October/092782.html
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2009-October/093062.html

And on python-list:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2009-October/1223658.html
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2009-October/1224228.html

There hasn't been a *huge* amount of discussion, but as it's a niche topic I suppose that's fair enough.

I'm
ready to actually integrate these changes in the core logging package.
As I understand it, the next step is to put the PEP forward for review,
which is why I'm sending this mail. I've already sent an equivalent mail to the PEP editors: David Goodger suggested I incorporate the above links (done) and Brett Cannon suggested I send this to python-dev - also, now, done.

Looking forward to the feedback!

Regards,

Vinay Sajip