[Python-Dev] Building a Windows MSI for Python /trunk

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Nov 26 16:07:25 CET 2009

>> You'll need to build release versions of Tcl/Tk/Tix.
>
> Yes, I saw a reference to that online, but I wasn't sure if that was the
> problem -- is the naming convention really that 'tcl85g.lib' is the debug
> lib!?

Yes; Tcl apparently follows Unix conventions here rather than Windows
conventions (where the debug build would end with "d").

>> Feel free to submit patches. There may be a misunderstanding, though, in
>> that buildmsi.bat isn't actually used for anything, and isn't "meant" to
>> be run by users, but instead by build slaves.
>
> Well, yes, although wouldn't we want the scripts to run without any user
> editing, for the build slaves?

Sure. For the scripts that are in actual use, that's also the case. I
stopped working on buildmsi because it was just too tedious to get
right.

> Is there a reason the buildbot builds were stopped?

It was too difficult to get right, plus nobody was interested in
using the daily MSI files.

At some point, it was broken for several months (IIRC), with nobody
reporting that breakage. So when we noticed, we just turned the service
off.

> and I thought daily -latest builds for Python latest on Windows and Mac would
> be a good demo...

I'll guess that you will find the same: nobody is really interested
in *using* daily builds of Python.

> OK, I see.  Thanks!  So if I can bring the scripts into concordance with
> that it might be valuable?

Most certainly, yes.

Regards,
Martin