[Python-Dev] transitioning from % to {} formatting

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Sat Oct 3 11:22:04 CEST 2009

Bugbee, Larry schrieb:
>>> Do the users get any say in this?
>>
>> I'm a user! :-)
>>
>> I hate calling methods on string literals, I think it looks very odd to
>> have code like this:
>>
>> "Displaying {0} of {1} revisions".format(x, y)
>
> Ugh!  Good point.
>
> Is Python to be an easy-to-learn-and-remember language?  I submit we are
> losing that one.  To a user, this will be confusing.  To a C programmer
> coming over to Python, especially so.  Some of what makes %-formatting easy
> to remember is its parallel in C.

To a .NET programmer coming to Python (think IronPython), %-formatting will
be strange, while {}-style formatting will be familiar.  I don't know how many
programmers come to Python from C nowadays.

I also think that we are merely so accustomed to ``"..." % bar`` that we never
think about new users who go "Huh? String modulo string?" -- why should that
initial discomfort be less than that of calling a method on a literal?

Being able to call a method on literals is simply consistent; literals are
objects as well as an object referred to by a name.  There are languages where
you can't even call ``foo[bar].baz()`` because method calls only work on single
names.  I call that ugly.

> I'm conflicted.  Philosophically I like the idea of mnemonic names over
> positional variables and allowing variable values determined elsewhere to be
> inserted in print strings.  It is appealing.
>
> Unless the benefit is at least 2x, a change should not be made,

I don't see how numbers like "2x" can be applied when measuring the
benefit of a language feature.

> and I don't
> think this benefit rises to where it is worth the confusion and problems.
> ...and converting the legacy base.  And forget pretty, not that %-formatting
> is pretty either.  Besides, according to the bench, it is slower too.  And it
> will take editors a while before the new syntax is supported and colorized,
> thus some errors for a while.

This is no different from all other language features.  Some editors I
encountered do not yet color the with statement.  Should I therefore refrain
from using it?

Highlighting formatting placeholders in string literals is questionable anyway,
since a highlighter has no way of knowing whether a given string literal will
be used for formatting.

> ....and if one wants a "{" or a "}" in the printed output, one has to escape
> it?  That is -2x over wanting a "%" in the output.

Again a number.  Where does it come from?

Georg